Largest ever convocation at IIIT Hyderabad, with a record number of 84 research students, including 16 Ph.Ds
Hyderabad, August 12, 2017: International Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad (IIIT-Hyderabad) celebrated its 16th convocation ceremony on Saturday 12th August 2017. It graduated 473 students, the largest ever, with a record number of 84 research students, including 16 Ph.Ds.
Sri G V Prasad, CEO, Dr Reddy’s Laboratories, was the chief guest at the ceremony and delivered the convocation address. Prof Raj Reddy, Chairman, Governing Council of IIIT-Hyderabad presided over the ceremony.
Gautam Vepa, B.Tech in Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) was awarded the IIIT gold medal in recognition of his outstanding academic performance.
Programme gold medallists were Gautam Vepa (B.Tech, CSE); Priyadarshi Rath, B. Tech, Electronics and Communication Engineering (ECE); Gaurav Mishra, BTech in CSE and MS by Research in CSE; Mohit Sharma, M.Tech in CSE; Arvinder Singh, M.Tech in VLSI & CE and Kaustav Sengupta, M.Tech in Computer Aided Structural Engineering (CASE).
This year the B.Tech Best All-rounder award was presented jointly to two students – Abhineet Jain, B.Tech in CSE and Soujanya Ponnapalli, B.Tech in CSE.
Speaking on the occasion, P.J. Narayanan, Director, IIIT-Hyderabad said, “Another fruitful year and a happy occasion indeed for IIIT-Hyderabad as our students go forth to make a significant impact in society. The opportunity to enhance the technical capabilities and positive outlook on life of young students is a matter of great satisfaction for academic institutions.”
Research-led education with a special focus on undergraduate research at IIIT-Hyderabad has resulted in the institute contributing immensely to the society through technology solutions as well as individuals who are equipped to solve unstructured problems. The institute lays emphasis on an education that produces competent, creative, and caring individuals with a mature world-view.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE YEAR
- 473 graduates (B.Tech, BTech-MS Dual Degree, M.Tech, Master of Science by Research, PhD, and MSIT programmes – 134 UG, 231 PG and 108 MSIT).
- 116 companies registered for conducting placements and made job offers to graduating students.IIIT-Hyderabad yet again secured 100% placement. Our graduates from the Masters programmes in IT received job offers from leading companies with average salaries for various programmes ranging between 14 to 17.7 lakh per annum. The B.Tech graduates received job offers with average salaries for various programs ranging between 13.4 to 18.8 lakh per annum. Our students are among the most sought after by the technology and product industry.
- The Kohli Research Block was inaugurated in January by Shri N Chandrasekarana, now Chairperson of Tata Sons, and houses The Kohli Centre on Intelligent Systems (KCIS), which has been advancing its reach through top-class research in Computer Vision, Robotics, Natural Language Processing, Data Analytics, Machine Learning, Cognitive Sciences, etc.
- 15 new faculty members joined the institute. Prof C V Jawahar was elected Fellow of the International Association for Pattern Recognition (IAPR), Dr Vishal Garg, Fellow of the Indian Green Building Council (IGBC), and Prof P J Narayanan, Fellow of the Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE). RameshLoganathan, Professor of Practice, Co-innovations received “Championing the Cause of Start-ups” award from Telangana State Government.
- The R&D Showcase held in February presented about 337 demonstrations or posters, which were visited by about 1600 individuals including a large number of students from various institutions, industry and R&D Organizations.
- Student Technology Education Programme (STEP) inspired over 100 school children to learn Computational Thinking at the institute over 4 weeks during their summer holidays.
- Four summer schools and a winter school brought over 500 Ph.D students and practitioners to the campus for intense hands-on exposure to topics like Computer Vision, Privacy in Social Media, Neuro-imaging, and Machine Learning.
- IIIT-Hyderabad produced 373 papers in top conferences and journals. Over 36 of our students including several undergraduate students travelled to international conferences to present their papers and participate in academic discussions.
- One PhD student received Google fellowship last year. In all, about 52 of our PhD students have external competitive fellowships from TCS, Google, Microsoft Research, IBM, Intel, Visvesvaraya etc.
- Centre for innovation and Entrepreneurship (CIE) launched CIE v2.0 with a focus on deep tech innovation and startups. CIE has till date incubated 250 startups, many of which gone on to raise approximately 35 crores of funds.